Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Miracles of Medicine

One of my good friends had a 95% BLOCKAGE of this LEFT coronary artery.  This artery supplies blood, but most importantly oxygen, to the big muscle that makes up the right side of the heart.  Had this artery completely closed, he might well be dead.

The doctor referred him to a cardio who made a small incision in my friend's groin, and then threaded a medicated stint up to his heart, and then into this mostly-blocked tiny little artery.

Today, one week later, my friend and I ran at a fairly good pace.  My friend had just walked 710 meters in 6 min, and ran a lap with me around Coleman Coliseum.  This past week, He and I ran twice, about 4-5 miles each time.

Go Figure!

In my view, modern medicine has a lot of challenges.  We use a lot of "preventive medicine" such as testing, that is ill advised.  Just this week, one of my friends died from sepsis directly resulting from preventive medicine.

"Yes, but many more lives are saved." you say.

That's generally true, but not to the extent most of us believe. 

G^d the creator and healer made a remarkably strong, resilient body for us.  We abuse it terribly, and in most cases we still live a remarkably long time.  Modern medicine does do some marvelous things, as in my friend's case.  Modern medicine has some problems.

Two things stand out.  Even M.D.s will tell you that ultimately G^d does much more healing than they do.  I am grateful that G^d has enabled men to do what they do.  But in both of these sentences the operator is G^D.

Once again recall Ps 139:
"13 For thou didst form my inward parts: Thou didst cover me in my mother's womb.
14 I will give thanks unto thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Wonderful are thy works; And that my soul knoweth right well."

No comments:

Post a Comment