Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Joys of Rest

This is the last day of our Spring Break.  I consider myself extremely fortunate to get a Spring Break.  It comes after 11 weeks of class, and the busiest 11 weeks I can recall.

It was a nice break.  I got to spend a little time with 3 of my 4 brothers, plus Brenda got to see her brother and sister.  We ended the week at Ben's (son -in-law) grandparents house in Otto, NC.  It was nice, without too much driving, plus we weren't anywhere too long to wear people out (I hope).

We tooks some pictures from Africa, and talked about it a bit, but tried to avoid wearing people out (I hope).

Everything went well, we made all our stops and only had one flat tire.  Thanks to our GPS we didn't get lost more than a few yards.  Thanks to our family and friends, we had a great time of fellowship and conversation.

But the best part was the rest.  Work is great, but rest is essential.  Get that?  Rest is essential.  I am not sure why, but G^d, after creating the earth, rested.  Sleep takes up about a third of our lives, but is essential.

Our laboratory has led the world in the study of recovery (i.e. rest) after bouts of exercise.  It turns out that few athletes can recover from a very hard workout in less than 48 hours.  Who knew?

Rest is a vital aspect of life, that seems to be under-appreciated, but when you are really tired...

Thanks be to G^d for the rest he gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment