Sunday, August 22, 2021

Life review: Goooo Auburn

 I recently saw a blog post by one of my former undergrad students, Auburn M. Auburn was a great student, an overachiever, from NC, and co-captain of the soccer team. I announced to her class, as I did every term, to let me know if they were performing in a sports competition, or a dance recital or anything else--I would be there.

So, I found myself, and Brenda at several home soccer games that fall. We would sit up in the stands near the UA goal, and I would shout over and over, "GO Auburn!" to encourage my student and the team.

Most readers will quickly recall that Auburn University, right down the road is a huge rival of Alabama sports fans. And sometimes this rivalry gets quite heated--unreasonably so. So here I am, in the stands at the Alabama soccer stadium, yelling for, what some fans assumed, was the hated rival--and the Auburn team wasn't even the opponent.

So, when other fans started giving me funny looks, I realized that many of them didn't realize the Alabama captain was named "Auburn"--so my "GO Auburn!" screams were confusing to them. But their ignorant stares were no match for my support for my student, so "GO Auburn!" continued for the rest of that game and for several more.

And, of course, Auburn University is an excellent school. I even thought about going there when I was originally turned down by the US Naval Academy. So, 

"GO Auburn!"

No comments:

Post a Comment