Sunday, March 14, 2021

Life Review: Return to the Flood Site

 Some of you may recall the blog posts about the flood at the local motel, owned by a friend and supervised by another friend. I spent several days helping salvage what we could. It was hot, dirty, tiring work. I was happy to see my part of the job end.

A couple of weeks back I was asked to come back to the flood cleanup. Now we are trying to clean up and restore 56 rooms there. It is February, and the first few days were bitterly cold. The good news is that we are trying to put the finishing steps to make some of these rooms rentable.

I find myself on my hands and knees setting toilets. I find myself covered in sheetrock dust as I try to clean up the debris from the floors so that the carpet layers can do their work. I clean up mini-fridges and place them in the now-restored rooms. I paint shelves to be replaced in their slot. The plumbing work is often done by flashlight. I am as tired as I can recall ever being after work.

I have plumbed, swept, and cleaned more in the last couple of weeks than ever in my life. It is admittedly rewarding, because you can instantly see results. It is rewarding to volunteer and to be with friends.

When we volunteer, we "lay down our life for a friend", and I don't say that to trumpet myself. I want to encourage all of us to do what we can to help others.

Thank you L^rd for this opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment