I have a very good friend who hated his job and could not wait to retire. I have been eligible to retire since 2005. It is unfathomable to my friend that I keep on working.
But, there are lots of reasons I stay on the job:
- It is a great venue for ministry.
- I enjoy being around young people with lots of potential and little experience.
- It is a great opportunity to travel at someone else's expense.
- I can travel a lot, or travel a little, and it's my choice.
- The pay is good.
- The holidays are frequent and long.
- The job has a lot of variety.
- I get sent a new "audience" (actually two) every semester.
- No matter how badly I messed up last term, I get a new try each term.
I feel extremely fortunate to be employed in Higher Ed. Despite a lawsuit, I have GREATLY enjoyed working at U of AL.
G^d has Blessed me Abundantly. As David said, upon being designated by Nathan as the Leader of Israel, "“Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?"