Sunday, October 17, 2021

Still Freaked Out

 I am a bit surprised. I have still not gotten used to being retired. It hit me again yesterday.  A check shows up, and I didn't do anything (lately) to earn it.  Freaky!

I do miss the students and colleagues. Each term I got a new group of students, and got to start over as a teacher. The students were young, with much to learn about life and about the course material. Some were excited, and some had to be "won over". It was a continual challenge, but I wanted to serve them well and to have an eternal impact on them, so I gave it a full effort.

I do enjoy the great freedom that comes with retirement. Now instead of working 50+ hours per week, I can work on things around home. I can get caught up with the chores and look for new things to do. I have the freedom to accept invites to minister, regardless of where, when or how long it takes. These aspects are great.

I can see how many retirees could struggle with a lack of purpose. If all you are doing is indulging your own fancies, it could get pretty old, pretty quick. Plus with a fairly free schedule, it is much harder--yes it is--to workout regularly and do the things that formerly simply held a place in the weekly schedule.

I even think, on occasion, about going back to teaching somewhere. But, I do realize that working as a missionary is first place in my working life, and I would be much restricted if I went back to the job. So, if you hear me mention it, remind me of the positives of a free schedule.

Oh, and a check shows up each month, without me doing anything but staying alive. Freaky! Did I mention that?

No comments:

Post a Comment