Wednesday, December 8, 2021

A Little bit of Black History

Brenda and I just spent 4 days studying Black history. I started by reading two books: Voices of Black South Carolina by Damon Fordham, and Black Charlestonians, a Social History 1822-1885 by Bernard Powers. These were very enlightening given that our education did not include any Black history.

From all we learned, it is clear that slavery, as practiced in Charleston and in South Carolina, and most of the US south was a heinous evil. Perhaps the saddest issue was the separation of family members in slave trades. The church’s disregard for these evils was likewise extremely disappointing.

One thing particularly caught us off-guard. We were shocked to read that freed blacks also sometimes owned slaves. Let that sink in a minute. That really surprised me and I am not sure what to make of this.

There were some more surprises, but I’ll save those for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment