Monday, August 25, 2014

Something is Headed Your Way>>> Old Age!

Have I blogged about aging?  I can't recall.  Seriously.  My memory is getting worse.



(Sorry for the pict, but it is the only illustration of getting old I could use.)

Maybe our memories don't get worse, it's just that there is now so much stored that it is harder to find the information, even though it is in there, or at least I recall knowing that name sometime in the past.

Names are the best illustration.  I may run into someone I haven't seen in years, and instantly recall their name.  Or, I may have called your name a few minutes ago, but now it is gone.  Well... not really gone, but buried deep enough that it will take me a few days to retrieve it.

But getting old causes us to lose more than memory.  In physiological aging, we lose bone density and muscle mass.  Our metabolism slows and we need less food- or else we get fatter.

There's not much we can do to avoid getting older, except of course, if we die young, we never have to face aging.  Those of us still around get a little reminder that this earthly life is temporary.

We are all in decline.  If we take care of our bodies, we go down hill a bit more slowly, but we all decline.  I am a FORMER competitive distance runner.  Sadly now I race at a pace slower than I trained at as a 34 y.o.  It is a bit discouraging, but a good reminder.  This life too will pass.

So, hear it from an aged guy.  Life is short.  It is a life of decline after about age 22.  It can be sad, unless we keep in mind...

We weren't made for this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment