Thursday, June 21, 2018

Life Review: A Tribute to my Soul Mate

On June 19, 1972 I married my True Love, Brenda Hill. We had met about 2 years before in the Canton Public Library. Brenda's sister had suggested, on that fateful day, that she wait at the Library before reporting for work at the dress shop. I was doing a good deed in taking my mom, who didn't drive, to the Doctor's, just across the street from the Library.

I was in a main area of the small library and looked up to see this gorgeous young lady reading a Seventeen magazine (she was only 16 at the time). I walked over, and my first words were, "I don't believe I know you!"

Her response was PERFECT for my ego, "Well I know you!" she said with authority. She had been a H.S. freshman when I was a senior. I had known her older brother, David, but somehow I had missed Brenda.

I wanted to correct my earlier oversight. I asked her out. And then I asked her out again. You see Brenda was a very popular young lady and getting on her calendar was challenging. Finally she agreed and I took her to that classic movie, Ben Hur.

We dated for a year, and then, in a romantic moment at Amicalola Falls State Park in North GA, I asked her to marry me, and she said, "Yes!".  Thanks be to G^d!

We have been through a lot together in raising 5 kids. We have traveled many a mile together, and done a LOT of work together. She is gifted in so many ways where I weak. Like Rocky Balboa said of Adrienne, "I got gaps, she's got gaps, but together we fill in each other's gaps!"

Brenda fills in my gaps!

Thanks be to G^d for the gift that is my dear, sweet wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment