Thursday, August 8, 2019

Life Review: A Tribute to an Influential Man

As I think back across my life, one man, whose first name I do NOT know, and a INORDINATE impact on me, and I doubt he ever knew it.

US Navy Commander Ellis (which is why as a USNA midshipman I never knew his first name) hosted a Bible study in his USN quarters in Annapolis.  I do NOT recall his address, his wife's name, or anything we studied.

Doesn't sound like a big impact eh?

But, the mere fact he took the time and trouble to do such a thing, is why I still recall it. In fact, it impacted me to the extent that Brenda and I copied him- in part. The USNA was a very conservative, very Christian atmosphere in the late 60's early 70's, as I have blogged before. Having a Bible study was really not especially bold. BUT, it clearly communicated the importance the CDR placed on Bible study, and was a GREAT testimony to his desire to see us Mids follow the Christ.

For many of my years as a Prof, I was the faculty sponsor for Cru. For many of those years, Brenda and I invited students to our home. Now this was NOT a Bible study, but our goal was the same as CDR Ellis', to help students see the immense value of following the Christ.

So, thanks CDR Ellis for setting a great example for me and many more.

As the late Prof., Howard Hendricks said it, "May your tribe increase!"

No comments:

Post a Comment