Sunday, March 28, 2021

End of Fire Season

 It is 14 March, and the fire season has seemingly ended. We had a fire a couple of mornings in early March for particularly cool mornings, but not in a while. The forecast is that the end of the week will also be in the lower 40's at daylight, so i have a fire ready to light.

Yesterday someone gave me a bit more than a truckload of seasoned cut firewood. I had to cut some of it, and refill my sheds, and was reminded of the work required to heat with wood. But, for some strange reason, it is immensely enjoyable to heat with wood. The exercise required in working with wood is good for me. By the time I pay for gasoline for the saw and truck, for the wood stove, and for the chimney sweeping, I am not sure I save much money, but maybe some.

This year I had a better handle on my usage. Over the cold weather I burned about 8 sheds worth. I am guessing I have close to 0.5 cords per shed, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 cords of wood. I am guessing I have about 16 half-cord sheds of wood so that is 8 cords or about 2 years worth already cut.

Here is what is required if you want to burn wood:

Find a source of wood,

Cut to truck length,

Haul home and cut to length (20 inches or less in length),

Split what needs splitting,

Transport and stack in a shed.

Now it must be hauled from the shed to the woodstove, 

And then loaded in the stove, 

Then the ash is removed and hauled out.

Pretty simple eh? I'm sure glad I enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment