Sunday, May 15, 2022

USA Privilege

 The word "privilege" has been coopted by the complainers in the USA to be always negative. I have enjoyed much privilege throughout my life and much of it comes from being wise enough to be born in the USA, as that song by Bruce Springsteen says it.

One of my privileges is to travel the world. What I have observed in many countries, is a desire to be in the USA. Even some folks who are outwardly hostile to the US would immigrate in a heartbeat, though they won't admit it.

Someone several years back said, "You can observe the quality of a country by how many people want in versus how many want out." There is a lot of truth there.

I find it odd that many of the most vocal critics of the USA choose NOT to emigrate.  Even some who promised to leave if some certain thing didn't happen politically are still here--much to my chagrin.

What is USA Privilege? It is the freedom to come and go. It is the opportunity to go to school, to learn a trade or get (not earn) a degree. It is the freedom to create a business (e.g. Microsoft), to escape caste and history. It is the opportunity to worship freely, speak freely, and protest freely. And, it is the opportunity to leave.

Is everybody the same in the USA?  No, we are a melting pot, a conglomeration of peoples from around the world. We do not all have the exact same opportunities--I will never play in the NFL, the NBA, the NHL, or do lots of other things. I am smarter than some, but less talented than others. But I do get the chance to fail, I do get the chance to explore, I do get to enjoy the fruits of others' labors.

The USA has plenty of problems, but so does every country. Those of us who live here ought to recognize our privilege and make the most of it--not apologize for it.

And, for those who desire to move elsewhere, the late Lewis Grizzard, columnist for the Atlanta Journal quoted, "Delta is ready when you are!"

1 comment:

  1. Ditto.
    Neil

    http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete