Tuesday, November 27, 2012

UB Wedding day



One morning in UB, I had nothing scheduled so decided to a walk-about.  I headed West from my hotel towards the famous Sukhbaatar Square, in the center of Ulan Bator (note that it can be spelled a few different ways). 

As I walk along in the beautiful fall day, I notice that I am totally illiterate here.  I pass the Afghanistan embassy, and one other unidentifiable embassy and reach the Sqaure.  In the middle, there is a statue of Damdin Sükhbaatar (the Red Hero for whom UB is named) on horseback (note: the spot for the statue was chosen based on where Sukhbaatar's horse had urinated (a good omen) on July 8, 1921, whilst he was preparing to lead the country to independence).


But beyond the statue of Sukhbaatar, and the enormous statue of Chingis Khan, what caught my eye was the large number of white-gowned brides.  Everywhere I look are brides, grooms, and wedding parties.  Many of those in wedding parties are wearing their native costumes.

There are two white, white gers set up at the far end of the square, and I suppose these have something to do with the weddings.   


Newly weds are being photographed inside the large hall, in front of the statues and on the long wide staircase at the north end of the plaza.


The cars that will whisk away the bride and groom are adorned with little statues of brides and grooms, about a foot tall, but otherwise quite similar to the traditional top of the wedding cake we see in the USA.  The cars also sport wreathes and balloons.


I will learn later, that the large number of weddings is because this is deemed a “lucky day” on the lunar calendar.

I like weddings, because, for the most part, everyone is happy, for at least a short time.  Weddings are celebrations, and they come up a few times in the Scriptures.  My favorite wedding is the one mentioned in Revelations 19
Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out,
“Hallelujah!
For the Lord our God
    the Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and exult
    and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
    and his Bride has made herself ready;
it was granted her to clothe herself
    with fine linen, bright and pure”—
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
And the angel said[a] to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”
Now, that will be a celebration indeed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment