Monday, April 23, 2018

Life Review: Running Man Part I

A large part of my young life was spent running.  My brother, David was a highly successful athlete who won a track and field scholarship along with an academic scholarship to Berry College.

In about 1974, my brother suggested that I might want to run the Atlanta 4th of July 10k (in those days). This was about Feb. I went out soon after and ran about 8 miles. I slowly figured out that I was a very slow-twitch muscle guy. This meant I could run long distances, which I quickly did. It didn't take me long to over-do it and get shin splints.

I read everything I could find about running, which wasn't very much in 1974. Runner's World magazine was a small black and white magazine, which I checked out of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station library.

I connected up with my soon-to-be good friend, Roger B., and we ran around the periphery of the Naval Station most lunch times. If I recall correctly, a full circuit was a good 10 miles.

In those days, most races were 10k runs, with an occasional 10 miler.  There were marathons which was the glamour race in those days. My first every marathon was the Washington DC, Marine Corps marathon. I am guessing it was November of 1974. I ran a 2:48, which is pretty quick for a first-timer.  Most importantly I was hooked.

I was flying with the USN a lot in those days.  I ran extensively in England, but also in Spain, Bermuda, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, The Azores, as well as on many USAF bases, including Eglin and Homestead. I remember getting a bit lost on a long run in Eglin, a huge base.  By the time I was done, I had run about 31 miles to get back to the Officer's quarters.  Whew! 

More in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment