Sunday, August 15, 2021

Ecclesiastes

 I just started re-reading the Foundational Testament book of Ecclesiastes again. It was written by Solomon and in my view, is best read as if we were reading his diary. As I began reading this AM, it struck me how mankind really doesn't change all that much. We all pursue "our best life now" and Joel Osteen promotes it. We all discover, sooner or later, that "all is vanity and vexation of spirit". Nothing is fulfilling, no matter how much money, how many possessions, how lavish our lifestyle.

But somehow the message is forgotten, or lost, or never grasped. I am fortunate to be reminded of this truth almost daily, and I am shocked to discover how quickly I forget and need a re-reminder. And, as I said, this is nothing new. It was written sometime around 300 years before the Christ, and yet it rings so true today.

In some ways, I draw comfort from the fact that humans have wrestled with the same issues for at least 2200 years. The current craziness in the world is not new. After all "there's nothing new under the sun.". Read the first couple of chapters of Ecclesiastes, and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment