Sunday, December 11, 2022

Another Deer Season

Each Autumn brings along another chance to enjoy the outdoors. Fall is the season of leaves turning, and the start of another deer season. Archery season began 15 October, as always, but we were in the midst of a month of travels not ending until the beginning of November.

For one reason or another, I only did three archery hunts this fall. I was supposed to hunt with my great hunting buddy, Mark, but his Chemotherapy derailed those plans. To be honest, my enthusiasm is the weakest it has been—ever. I am not sure why. My right foot/ankle problems have continued, and that has detracted some. We had our Grace Men’s retreat, and that took up a Friday and Saturday. I think too, retirement has made me a bit lazy, and that combined with the loss of energy consequent to old age has taken some wind our of my sails.

But, I write this blog from a beautiful spot in Greene county, where I have seen scores of deer through the years. And, yesterday afternoon I got to hunt with my grandson, J. AG hunted with Andrew and that family hunt was a lot of joy.

The stillness of the early morning, and the quietness of these fields and woods are a rate treasure in this day and age. And, there is always the thrill of high expectations. This could be the year I kill my biggest buck ever!

Hope springs eternal. What is your hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment