Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Grace Men’s Retreat



We had our Church men’s retreat the first weekend in November, right in the middle of the deer archery hunting season. We drove an hour west to Timberlake Camp, where we have had several retreats. I rode with Mark and Danny and we had a nice chat all the way over.

The Camp is a very nice setting with a large lake and totally surrounded by woods. The Burns family operates it. The dining hall is HUGE and our first meeting was in there. I was the first speaker, and despite my dislike of speakers, after my first few words were lost in the open air of the high, high ceiling, I had to use the sound system. It was not properly set up and I still sounded bad. Afterword the sound expert told me that you always, always want the microphone behind the speakers. Thanks, but your advice is 30 mins too late!

It was great and rare to have time chatting with other men. We had a nice roaring bonfire Friday night, and the steady rain for much of Saturday gave us even more. Men seldom get these relational times. Men have a harder time with relationships than women, and many men have few-to-none friends they can relate to on a deep level.

And, this was the joy of this time. I talked to as many men as I could. I rode back with Keith, who I have known a long time. Our ride back together was a good conversation and good bonding.

Men, let me encourage you to take advantage of these opportunities to spend quality time with other men. The opps are not common, so they can’t be wasted. G^d made us for relationship—with Him and with others.

Let’s relate!


No comments:

Post a Comment