Sunday, October 10, 2021

Bested by a Beaver

 Last night (9-10) as I was docking my canoe in the backyard after fishing, I thought sure I heard a beaver slap its tail against the water's surface. They do that if they are alarmed. I hadn't seen a beaver, but within a couple of minutes, here he swam.

Back in June, we had a terrific rainstorm that flooded the creek below our house. A week or a little more later, Andrew and I spotted a lone beaver, that had likely sought refuge from the flood in our lake. I later noticed that a small cherry tree in our backyard had been gnawed down by a beaver.

I contacted the head of our homeowner's association, my next-door neighbor, Walter, and told him what I had seen. I told Walter that I would try to remove the beaver. He agreed.

I started trying in mid-July, with NO success. Today, Brenda and I saw not one beaver, but two! I was NOT happy to see the beautiful, hard-working creatures. Today, my limited efforts were replaced by those of a professional hired at a pretty high price.

I hope he succeeds where I failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment