Sunday, March 27, 2022

Life Review: Breaking the Law

 One of the most dismal, remorseful times of my life happened in November, 1997. My family and I loved living on the post at the US Military Academy from August 1997-June 1998 whilst I taught there.

I am an inveterate deer hunter, and there was some good deer hunting right on the USMA land near our quarters there. I started hunting deer as soon as archery season opened. I managed to harvest a doe with my bow during the early season, but spent most of the gun season hoping for another deer. My kids ate a lot of venison, and it was a key, economical meat source.

On the last day of deer season, I still needed to harvest one more deer. And, sure enough, G^d provided another doe broadside at under 50 yards right as the sunset--the end of the season. I squeezed the trigger and the deer dropped. It was a pretty good way away from my vehicle, so I had to drag it out by myself and somehow get it loaded up into our big old van. I hauled to deer into the check station whereupon the game manager declared my deer illegal. You see, in AL where I did most of my hunting, and still do, the end of shooting light is 30 min after sunset. In NY, the day ends right at sunset. I had shot my deer within a minute or two of sunset, but the game manager took the position that I was too late.

I was overcome with remorse. I couldn't sleep, couldn't get past my mistake. The law enforcement, the Military Police called me about my "crime". I called them back and they said forget it, and I never heard any more about it.

Eventually I got over my shame and guilt and we ate the deer. I was most shocked that I took my honest, innocent mistake so very seriously. I have done much worse stuff, so my remorse is still a bit surprising.

Thanks be to G^d for His Mercy and Grace. They are unending and freely available.  Thank you L^rd!

No comments:

Post a Comment