Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Finally a GOOD road Race!

 Saturday (26 Mar) at 0730 I ran my first 5k road race in many years. I seldom ran this distance in my competitive years because there weren't many of them and this was more like a warmup in those days. My gift has always been endurance, not speed.

Anyway, my last race, an 8k, was a debacle, so I was hopeful for this one. It was a beautiful day for a road race. We started and and just past the quarter mile I noticed a guy just a few yards in front of me who might be in my age group. His stride was a bit odd, but he was steady and we stayed together for most of the race. I pushed it, but within my limits. I didn't want a lot of folks passing me the last half mile.

So we climbed the bit hill just past the two mile and it was tough, but I closed on the guy. Finally about a quarter mile out I decided to pass him. As I passed I encouraged him that the race was nearly done.

As I made the last corner, about 200 yards from the finish line, a white haired guy appeared on my left shoulder. I wasn't happy to get passed at this point, so I gave whatever kick I had. I beat him by a scant 2 seconds, but I did beat him to win my age group. It turns out he was a mere lad of 68 years.

I ran a 25:52, which is an 8:21 pace--the best I have run in a while. I actually enjoyed this race in contrast to the 8k in December. Thank you L


^rd!

1 comment: