Sunday, April 24, 2022

Wordle Strategy

 At the behest of some Cru FC friends, I have begun to play Wordle. If you haven't yet played, it is a game wherein you try to guess a 5-letter word. As you make entries Wordle shows you if the letter is used in the target word, and if it is in the correct location. So far I have played about 50 or more of these and only had to make 6 guesses (the limit) one time.  Mostly I get it in 4 guesses, sometimes in 5, and occasionally in 3.

It is fun and I am guessing everyone follows a similar strategy.  I start with identifying the vowels. My first entry is some word like "audio" because it has 4 vowels. My next guess is a word with an e, and no other letters in common, like "entry" with an ey.  Or I could achieve the same with  "house=oue" and "daisy-aiy".

From here I try to test the unused letters whilst moving the identified vowel around. It is a to been total waste to used a letter that has already been eliminated or to reuse one in a space where you know it doesn't fit.

Sometimes the correct word is a variation on a theme, such as "sha_e". Here the letter could be a " d, m, p, k, l, r, or v". That's 7 possibilities and if you were lucky enough to start with "shame" you could run out of guesses before you ran out of possible letters.  In this case you need to check multiple possible letters in one word. Using "prank" would eliminate 4. That leaves d, l and v. trying "valid" would cover 3 more with 2 new ones. So, you can still win, but it takes a bit of strategy.

Anyway, it is fun and I have to fight becoming obsessive. I do note that if I get stuck, going to another task and then coming back is helpful.

I'd be curious to hear your strategies, if you are willing to share.

Regardless, Happy Wordling!

No comments:

Post a Comment