Sunday, October 9, 2022

Fact vs Faith

 As a scientist I can say, there are very few things of value "proven". Sure, a few basic things in physics, and in math, but very little in physiology, psychology, philosophy. 

Physics has "proven" kinetics and kinematics, but also shown that those don't work on a subatomic level. We have some other basic laws of electricity and magnetism, and fluids and thermodynamics and a few I am sure I am forgetting. In math we have some "proofs" that are logically consistent.

But when you get beyond these there are few "laws". I am a bit appalled that in human physiology we don't have any independent, consistent, verificable laws (the Frank-Starling "law" of the heart isn't exactly independent of logic and physics). Give me one? 

Likewise, in nutrition, beyond some very basic principles, things seem to change from time to time. In the more complex sciences, like human psychology, name one law. I am not an expert in human philosophy, but I have never heard one principle that is wholly consistent.

I say all this to suggest that ALL of us are people of faith. We fly in aircraft, we cross bridges, we drive at high speeds--all on faith. So those who claim to live by "facts", or by science, or some other way are simply putting their FAITH in something--without option.

This means that ALL of us exhibit FAITH in something. I'll put my faith in Jesus. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment