Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Mystery of Sleep

I am awake at a bit after 0400.

A week ago, I would have blamed it on jet lag, but we have been in this time zone (-7) for over a week, so that probably isn't the issue.  BUT, disrupted sleep raises a Question:

"Why did G^d create mankind with a need for ~8 hours of "lost" time, in the form of needed sleep?"

Were I designing the human body, I wouldn't have included a requirement that everyone sacrifice about one-third of their life to sleep.

And, if you are like T Edison, or B Franklin and don't need but about 4 hours sleep per night, that isn't the issue.

I can only think of a few reasons that G^d gave us a need for sleep:
  • 1) For people like me, it's the only time we are quiet enough to hear from Him.
  • 2) It is another "equalizer".  Rich and poor, smart and not-so, we all need and want some sleep.
  • 3) When we are sleepy, sleep is a cheap, healthy pleasure.
  • 4)In sleep we are dependent upon G^d to protect and sustain us.  It is a good illustration of our helplessness, if we pay attention.

One of my favorite verses that I memorized in the early 1980s is,
"Psa 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep."

I recommend it to new parents, because it helps us keep things in perspective.

In the end, I, and you are dependent upon G^d, and we're better off to simply acknowledge that!

No comments:

Post a Comment