Friday, July 20, 2012

Why is there fighting among you?

I love birds.

I usually put up a hummingbird feeder each summer.  This year, i put it up in the usual spot, but no birds came.  So, this past Saturday I moved it.  

Today (Tues) I saw the first hummers had already found it.  I say "hummers" because there are at least two of them flying around.  IF you have experience with hummers you know what that means- fights!  Yep, as i watched, one hummer was so busy trying to run off his rival that he had no opportunity himself to feed.

You'd think a hummingbird would know better, wouldn't you?



But we do the same, just more subtly. 

What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. (Ja 4:1-2).

How ought we then to live?

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.(Phil 2:3-4)  and...If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. (Rom 12:8)
Were it only so easy!!

But here is where we find ourselves: 

 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.  For in my inner being I delight in God’s law;  but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Rom 7:21-25)

Thanks be to G^d, indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment