Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Startling Confession.

After 28+ years of Teaching in the Uni, I did something entirely new.
So what?
Well after 28 years, it is pretty hard to find something new to do!

I had a terrific group of grad students, five in number, in my Summer I (4 week) term.  Yesterday was the last lecture of the term.  I thought about it, and consulted with an undergraduate confidante.  He encouraged me to go for it.

Yesterday, in a bold, clear voice, I told my students, "I love you."

Strange eh?  I made a short speech thanking them and then ended with that startling confession.

Then I said, "I bet you have professors tell you that all the time."

"Never happened," they said.



Class was over, and as they were leaving one student remarked, "You care about us."

True.

As I walked across campus a student from the class invited me to walk with him.  he told me about his previous drug and alcohol addiction.  Then he told me that he prays every night.  We had a nice short conversation about the value of being in relationship with G^d through Jesus Christ.

Not a bad way to end a term I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment