Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sleep

I have wondered, of late, as to why G^d created us in such a way that we need sleep.

Think about it, about one-third of our lives are spent unconscious.

Now, as a physiologist, I understand some of the physiological reasons we need sleep, I am questioning the philosophical reason we need to be unconscious.  G^d could have circumvented our physiological requirement for dozing.

But I think I have found the reason for sleep.  In Matthew chapter 2, on 5 occasions G^d spoke to Joseph in a dream.

If Joseph in 1 BC needed to sleep in order to be quiet enough to hear from G^d, then how about us today?

We run to and fro, always hurrying, never quiet.  G^d in his wisdom, recognized He would need to slow us down a bit, and He invented sleep.  At least, that's my hypothesis.

Lord slow me down, even when awake, so that I can hear your voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment