Monday, February 23, 2015

Shoulder to Shoulder




My friend Jay likes that term, “shoulder to shoulder”. It graphically captures the idea of being united in one effort, one cause.  I have written before about my extreme over-competitiveness, but on occasion I realize the great virtue of unity and cooperation.

I think maybe I best see the values of cooperation within the Church, the Body of the Christ.  We are all on the same team.  We are co-laborers.  We OUGHT to rejoice when one part of the Church, a congregation has great success.  We OUGHT NOT to be competitive with each other.

But this is easier said than done, for me, and for most of us. 

Why is that?

I suspect it has a bit to do with capitalism.  I suspect it has a bit to do with sports.  I suspect it has a bit to do with individualism.  I suspect it has something to do with immaturity.

Sadly though, I think it has NOTHING to do with G^D.  The G^D who is no respecter of persons, the G^D who died to save us ALL, the G^d who created the WHOLE universe and declared it good, the G^d who commanded us to love our neighbor as ourselves, has NOTHING to do with our competition among those who believe in Him.

None of that is of G^d, all of that arises from our fallen nature.  Sad eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment