Monday, November 21, 2016

Remembering 9-11

As I write this, it is the 15th anniversary of 9-11.  yeah, I write these on different days than reality- partly to protect my family and myself when we are out of town, and partly because I need to write these weeks in advance, so I won't feel stress from being "due" to post.

I am guessing that you recall 9-11, both in 2001 and in 2016.  It was indeed a tragic day, and it greatly impacted out country.  If I recall correctly, church attendance spiked upwards sharply in the autumn weeks immediately following 9-11.

I am glad for the timing, because I want to remind us all- me included- that tomorrow is NOT guaranteed for any of us.  None of those who died in 9-11 went to work that day expecting NOT to survive the day.  I speculate, but am likely pretty accurate.  I speak out of my experience, as I seldom think about dying.  But, I do think about it, especially today.

I recommend it!  We all will certainly die, and we do NOT have the luxury of knowing WHEN the day will come.

So what to do?

Well, pop culture says that we ought to "go for the gusto!", we ought to "dance like no one is watching" (because they likely aren't), we ought to "follow our dreams".

Bad advice!

Don't get me wrong, I highly favor bad dancing, the only kind I can do, but I think most of this advice is MOSTLY distracting.  We prefer NOT to think about death.  Most of us, even Christians, also prefer NOT to think about what may come after death.

As Christians, we ought to be looking forward to being in HEAVEN- but NOT so fast!  Even us Christians, though we are loathe to admit it, are really, in truth, pretty unsure of heaven.  On the other hand, we feel like we have a pretty good grasp of what makes happiness in this life- gusto, dancing, and dreaming.

Surely we can do better!  But, it takes focus and effort- things I lack.  But... I keep trying.

It is ONLY with an eternal perspective, can we commit fully to following the Christ.  That's a strong statement, but I know enough of the other.  As long as I focus on "going for the gusto", I will focus on this life and not the things of G^d.  As long as I pursue pleasure, and $$ (facilitates pleasure), and "the things of this world", I will be too distracted to follow the Christ.

So, I pray, L^rd give ME an eternal perspective on this life.  Make me Christ-centered in thought, in intention, and in deeds.  Holy Spirit, I am counting on YOU to change me, again and again until I am enjoying eternity with the saints.

Amen = make it so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment