Monday, July 24, 2017

Legalism- a Persistent Problem

I have written before about legalism.  How the Pharisees and Scribes of Jesus' day had taken legalism to its pinnacle.  Remember the cliff illustration?  "Helping G^d, by building high walls to keep us from falling into sin narrows the path so much we inevitably fall into legalism.

What is legalism?  It is reliance on our obedience to the law to earn our place with G^d.  It is futile and ends up with Christians criticizing other Christians for not falling into the trap of reliance on the Law as a means to reach G^d.  It also irritates our brothers and sisters in Christ.

As our Sunday School class discussed Romans 7 this morning, it dawned on me.  Legalism does NOT elevate the Law so much as it Diminishes it.  That is the Law was given to mankind to illustrate clearly how MUCH WE NEED A SAVIOR!!  Did you hear that?  As I seek my justification in the LAW I fail to see that I can NEVER succeed.  The LAW is too hard.

On the other hand, keeping the LAW, to the extent I can, is how I express gratitude to G^d for saving me by the BLOOD of the Christ.  PLUS, the LAW tells me the best possible way to live.  BUT the LAW is to show my sin, not save me.  I need the CHRIST for that.

I endeavor to keep the Law for gratitude and for optimal living, but NOT for salvation.  And if I see you struggling I may inquire if I can be of help, but I won't be forcing my view of the LAW on you. It is INDEED DUMB to ignore G^d's Law, but that's generally between you and G^d, unless you allow/request me to help.

So, let us NOT diminish the Law!!

1 comment:

  1. Brother Paul had quiet a bit to say about those who were attempting to mix Law and Grace...Even to Peter!

    The fleshly desire (carnal) that drives us to want to feel good about ourselves, has more lives than a cat!

    ReplyDelete