Monday, January 1, 2018

Life Review: Happy New Year, Again!

Well, this is my 67th New Year's Day!  Our family has never made a really big deal of New Year's celebrations, beyond staying up until midnight- which was highly unusual to be up that late.

We ate the traditional Southern New Year's day fare. We ate greens and peas, because that represented a financially prosperous coming year- some how!

This year is a noteworthy New Year.  I retired from a long career of teaching.  I was prepared for an adjustment - but not prepared enough.  It has been strange NOT being in the classroom starting in August. It is strange NOT to have to be someplace before 0800 each work day. It has been very strange NOT to be anticipating weekends and holidays from work.  This latter one, really has surprised me.  Brenda and I did a LOT of pre-retirement training back about 2004, when I first became eligible to retire.  I am guessing I heard a good bit about adjustment, but I don't recall these sort of specifics.

I still look at the job adverts, but I tell myself it is to keep up with the market and to advise Ph.D. students, with whom I still have some contact.  I won't leave my present job with Cru, because we are doing what G^d has called us to do. But there was a LOT to be said for the terrific career of teaching young, and some not-so-young, people.

So, as we look to the coming NEW Year with eager anticipation, I also look back at 2017, and the many years before that year. I have so many pleasant, positive memories of my time in the work force. I know several people who DO NOT have such a blessing.

Thanks be to G^d for a Blessed career, really for a BLESSED LIFE! It is almost inconceivable to be so blessed, so I can only say, THANKS BE TO G^D!

I pray your 2018 will be a Blessed one


No comments:

Post a Comment