Monday, December 30, 2019

What! It's 2020 ALREADY???

Yes indeed, it is ALMOST 2020. There is something special about those round numbers. This is the year I may reach the big 70. Wow, 70 is old. It's a long time to be on this earth.

I won't belabor that time passes faster and faster as I age. You know it, or will soon enough. I do think that TIME deserves a bit more attention than I normally give it. I have spoken about time management on a couple of recent occasions. I quote Ben Franklin who said approximately, "Doth thou love life, then do not waste time, for time is the stuff of which Life is made."

I explain in this lecture, that time is an equalizer.  Bill Gates has no more time than we do. Sure, he can hire someone to do some of the mundane things, but this is likely more than offset by his need to manage billions of dollars. ALL of us get just 24 hours per day.

So, 2020 will give us all some hours. How will I spend them? Each year that goes by, becomes more valuable than the last, because our days are numbered, and that number is steadily dwindling. We can spend time on things that matter--or on things that don't.

So, what matters? In my view, souls are eternal, and so one of the very few things that matter. People will live on beyond death--some not so happily. This world will pass away, this money will pass away, these "memorials" will too pass into oblivion. Only WE will endure.

So 2020 is another year of opportunity to be self-absorbed and world-absorbed, and another year to be concerned with the souls of men.

What say ye??

No comments:

Post a Comment