Sunday, December 6, 2020

"Day of Infamy"

Today, 7 Dec. is a "Day of Infamy" because this was the date of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Now, if you have ever had the pleasure of visiting Japan you know that it is among the MOST civil countries of the world. IF I had to walk down the streets of a big city at 2 AM, I would feel safest in a Japanese city. Our son David who has lived in Japan for over 10 years now, says that police officers in Japan have boring jobs, seldom even giving out speeding tickets.

Sadly,  Japan is the least religious country I have visited to date. They have many religious shrines, but these are almost entirely relics of the past. When some dignitary in Japan visits one of these spots, they are doing it for historical and publicity purposes, with no serious consideration of spiritual principles.

How do I know this? Well I can't give you a lot of specific arguments, but I can tell you that religion of all types is very low profile in Japan. And, this is not because of civil or criminal law, it is simply their preference. It really struck me to go from the SE coast of Japan to the SW coast (down near Osaka) and only see ONE cross on one building the whole way.

Now I do KNOW that there are Christians there, including some Christian professors. Several years back we spoke to an assembled group of Christian profs at a University in Osaka. I know a Cru missionary now in Japan, and know a couple who were missionaries there.

Let's take this day to PRAY for the people of Japan. Everyone is an eternal being. Everyone needs to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Let it be so. Pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment