Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Fall Gardening

 Gardening is, more or less, a year-round hobby. Fall is the time for transplanting. Fortunately, I have had good success in transplanting even in spring, and planting day lilies in early August. But, the best time for moving trees, shrubs and flowers is fall when they are going dormant.

This last few days (early Nov.) we have transplanted some of my favorite bush--the crepe myrtle. I salvaged some gerbera daisies from the trash in mid summer, and am in the process of getting them in the ground. Our next door neighbor, Ms. Connie, gave me 7 cuttings from her beloved "mother" gardenia. I got them rooted and set them out last week. All 7 survived the summer and appear to survive the transplanting.

I also moved a Leland Cypress from the east side of the front yard to the west side. For some reason, the east side of our front yard does not foster rose, cypress, or anything. A few lantana seem to do OK, but nothing else.

Here's the new crepe myrtles.

As you might suspect, this whole row is composed of volunteer shoots from mature crepe myrtles. If some of these die, no worries, as there are plenty of other volunteer sprouts. I also have 5 loropetalum that I harvested from a couple of huge bushes back at Allums. It has taken a year and a half, but they are big enough to safely move, if I discover a spot for them. They are so very hardy, that I might even try one over on the "No-grow" east side.

To see the wonderful beauty that G^d has given us in plants is to increase our worship of Him. That he made such variety and such beauty tells us that heaven must be a lovely place indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment