Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fallen Nature of Man

The infastructure of Botswana is impressive.  As I walk around campus of UB, I am impressed with the money that is being put into this resource also.  Am embassy friend tells me that the government has been good about using the national funds to build the country.  This supports the statement from a UB faculty member that the government has been extremely supportive.  This is all impressive to me.

My experience around the world, including home, is that politicians mostly cannot resist corruption at some level.  The US history includes many jailed governors and other politicians, including a couple of presidential impeachments.  One of my home state's former governors happens to be in jail right now.

There is a long history in the world of presidents becoming dictators, of national leaders stealing billions of dollars, pesos, bolivars, or whatever the currency may be.  This is why I am pretty shocked to hear that since the independence of Botswana in 1966, things have seemed to go pretty well.  This is the exception.

I have noted on this blog before, that those who don't accept the fallen nature of mankind are not paying attention.  Man is fallen, corrupted, really hopeless.  Though I am by nature cynical, I don't think I am being overly negative here, I am just being realistic.  All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of G^d.  All we like sheep have gone astray...  There is none righteous, no not one.

We are so hopelessly lost that there is no hope we can save ourselves (note "hopelessly" personified).  Thanks be to G^d that at the right time He sent The Christ into the world to save sinners (of whom I am chief). 

That is why I stand amazed to hear the story to servant leadership acted out in real fallen world.  My hat is off to the leaders of Botswana.

As Howard Hendricks says, "May your tribe increase."

No comments:

Post a Comment