Friday, November 8, 2013

Bushman

One of the neat things about Africa has been the people we have met whilst trekking around Botswana and South Africa.

Our first night at Gweta Lodge, we sat around the campfire.  After while I fetched the marshmallows and cut a branch and started roasting them.  After a while Brenda retired to get ready for bed.  Several marshmallows later, I started for bed myself.  As a I walked by the open-air dining area, I saw someone I thought was the proprietor's father.  I walked up and introduced myself and we hit it off.  He was Darren B, a friend of the proprietor's father, the founder of the Lodge.

Darren said, "I saw you roasting marshmallows, and said to myself, there's a man who knows how to enjoy himself."

After a short conversation we realized we were sou lmates.

Darren was born in Zimbabwe, worked in South Africa and now was a freelance guide in the Okavango Delta.  He loved the bush, and enjoyed life.  The more we talked the more we related to each other.

The next morning Darren had to leave pretty early to travel down to Francistown with a friend.  We saw each other and he came right over to the gazebo outside our rondeval.  We chatted a few more minutes and he mentioned the book he is writing about his lifetime of experiences.  A soul mate indeed.

I gave him a business card and bid him farewell.  I asked him if he minded if I prayed for us before he left.  He happily assented.  I prayed.  Afterwards he smiled and thanked me.

I suspect I'll see Darren again, but I have no idea where.

No comments:

Post a Comment