Monday, January 20, 2020

Confession: I am a HYPOCRITE!

I have a long history of hypocrisy. I have always said things and then lived in opposition to my claims, but I have just recently recognized one of my MOST BLATANT hypocrisies. And, without further ado, here 'tis:

I, along with many other Christians, say "Come quickly L^rd!" Certainly that will be a great day and all of this world's problems will "grow strangely dim, in the light of His marvelous grace."

On the other hand, I confess to ruing the rapid progress of time. I have written about "tempus fugit" previously and I won't belabor the point. As we age time passes more quickly. Most of us fight death as hard as we can.

See my hypocrisy? I want Christ to come, but not too soon--really. Most Christians, especially in the wealthy west, are none to anxious to leave "the good life" we enjoy in the here and now. Now, don't protest. You are, with very few exceptions, wealthy, and you do enjoy a pretty sweet life in the here and now.  BUT, I digress. I am NOT confessing for you, I am confessing for me.

I am repentant and want to change my ways. I want to say "Come quickly L^rd, and mean it earnestly. I want to eagerly look to the day when I am united with Christ, and with the many loved ones who have gone before.  And there is good news in all of this--time is moving more rapidly with each passing year.

Life is short, and we need to remember that. Perhaps that is why I blog that thought so often, I want to remind myself. We are but guests here on earth. If we live to be 100, our time is short. No one escapes death, and neither will I.

Fortunately, in Christ, we have NOTHING to lose, and EVERYTHING to gain.

Come quickly L^rd! (And I mean it this time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment