Monday, January 6, 2020

The Problem, no, the VALUE of Pain

One of the biggest questions in life has been, The PROBLEM of pain. I have written about it, and feel it is foundational for why many bright people reject G^d. I do NOT find the argument valid, but I do respect it.

Just recently it dawned on me, that whereas pain can be extremely problematic, the LACK of pain can be even worse. it is said that those with Hanson's disease (leprosy) lose their ability to feel pain in their extremities.  Consequently they get burned, or injured, without realizing it and stopping it.

G^d gave us pain for a purpose, and PAIN may be MUCH more valuable than I have realized. For example, for our 5 children, we intentionally inflicted MILD and momentary pain to get their attention to persuade them to comply with our directions. Many modern experts condemn corporal punishment, but in my view it was quick, non-residual, and effective. (Side note- I am NOT referring to your child or grandchild) I do NOT see kids' behaviors improving with the demise of corporal punishment.

So, pain can be good for us all. It tells us: Something is wrong, and we need to do something. In James 1 it tells us to "Count it all joy when you encounter various trials, for the testing of your faith produces ENDURANCE and let endurance have it's work, that you may be PERFECT and COMPLETE, lacking in nothing."  So trials, a form of pain, is to be welcomed.

If I do NOT experience pain, what will I learn?  Possibly nothing. If I were constantly PROTECTED from PAIN, I would not be encouraged to learn. When we protect our friends from pain, we may be hurting them, with our love.

Pain hurts, which is WHY it gets our attention.  And that's not ALL bad.

So, maybe we should be discuss the VALUE of pain, as often as the PROBLEM of pain.

Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment