Monday, January 27, 2020

Life Review: Loving Fire II

Last post I began the story of my love for fire with the unlikely history of nearly dying from fire. But, for whatever reason, I love fires. I love an open fire at the old hunting camp, in the fire pit, or wherever it is. Now I can burn a fire any time it is cold enough to justify it.

You really have to justify a fire, because it takes a lot of work. As soon as I knew I was going to have a wood-burning insert, I began collecting fire wood. One of my neighbors, Bob, gave me a couple cords of very well-aged wood. Some of it was a bit too aged, but the convenience and abundance, and dryness made it valuable indeed. Many folks don't realize that wood must  be aged about 18 months before being burned. Green wood has too much moisture, so Bob's wood was a super blessings.

Bob's wood, plus a little bit of dead wood I cut in a few locales, wood be the 2019-2020 supply. I needed to cut wood NOW, 2019, to have wood dry enough for 2020-2021. Fortunately, one of my church friends Ben had a bunch of trees cut out of his backyard and he needed to get rid of the green white oak and water oak. I was happy to drive the 9 miles to get truck-load after truck-load of green wood. Then I had to cut it to length (under 20 inches) and split it to make it usable. I get satisfaction out of cutting wood and stacking it to dry, and looking at a year's supply (I hope) accumulated for the following year.

I took me a little practice to work out a way to store the wood, move it to a good location to burn and to figure out a way to get it into the house without making a mess. It took practice to learn to operate the new stove and even to start a fire in it. Our first attempt resulted in a living room full of smoke, because the installers had made a mistake and inadvertently blocked the vent pipe.

But now, it's all worked out and aaaaaaahhhhh, how nice!

Thank you L^rd!


No comments:

Post a Comment