Thursday, January 9, 2020

Snakes Alive!

I am pretty old, which means I have experienced 69 Christmases. One of them was in the Middle East, and I was airborne for another one, with one in New York, Houston. The rest have been in Georgia or Alabama. This Christmas distinguished itself especially in that on Christmas day, Andrew caught a brown water snake in our back yard.


Today, while walking to my deer stand, I encountered a pine snake that was almost 4 feet long. It was in the 60's, so the snakes on both occasions were active and seemed pretty comfortable. In fact, all 6 of the kids enjoyed playing with the snake more than any of their toys.






In my marveling, I am assuming all my readers understand that snakes are NOT cold tolerant being cold-blooded. I cannot recall seeing snakes, but I probably have seen the occasional lizard, who although they are also cold-blooded generally stay mostly on branches and limbs well above the cold ground--unlike snakes.

Well, snakes at Christmas are just another joy of living in the Southern USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment