Sunday, February 7, 2021

Bad TV Commercials

 I know we are all together on this, but some tv commercials are terrible. I am happy to admit that I have NO professional knowledge of advertising. But as a long-term consumer with some tv watching over the last 70 years, I do have some opinions.

The worst tv commercials are provided by the insurance companies. One of my Communications expert friends pointed out that there is almost NO difference amongst there products. Think about it. The chances of any given driver crashing are the same for every insurance company in the country. The odds of an insured person dying are the same. So, the chief thing to differentiate among companies is advertising.

I JUST saw a tv advert for Progressive insurance. It was a total silly ad about hand modeling competition and it did NOT make me want to buy their insurance--quite the opposite. I have mentioned the crazy Liberty Mutual ads supposedly filmed with the Statue of Liberty in the background.

About the only good insurance commercials are the recent State Farm commercial featuring a young black insurance agent. His customers are so grateful for their great insurance that they are treating him extra special despite his protests that they aren't receiving special treatment.

BUT, that's the only one that seems wise or appealing.

So, despite that we must buy liability insurance for our car, and health insurance for our bodies, perhaps consumers should express our opinions on these companies based on the quality of their commercials. Our insurance company, which will remain nameless, advertises very little (saving us customers $$) and has always given us great service. In the old days, they didn't advertise at all (saving us customers $$$$).

Oh well, I guess I really don't have much about which to complain, right?


1 comment:

  1. Prgressive and Liberty are getting stale. I like the State Farm and Geico.

    ReplyDelete