Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Things do Change

 Back around 1970 at the US Naval Academy I had to take a required course in US Government. Our prof was brilliant in that he knew that most of us in the class were politically conservative. He would say things to get us stirred up, and I would rush to the library to prove the prof wrong. But, the next day, he would be on to another topic.  As you have figured out, he was a very clever teacher.

Very near the end of the term, and it might have been the last class meeting, he told the following story, which is a commentary on today's culture.

"In college, I lived in a boarding house while i was in college. The residents of this house were almost all internationals, and i was about the only American living there.

It was the morning after a presidential election. I came down to breakfast which we ate all together. In the room it was deathly quiet, which was unusual since normally everyone was laughing and talking as they ate. After a few minutes, I couldn't handle the funeral-like atmosphere.

What's going on, friends? I asked.

They replied, "Well there was an election yesterday. Won't there be rioting and disharmony everywhere?"

I laughed and said, "No we don't take politics that seriously here. There won't be anything.'"


My how times have changed!

2 comments:

  1. It sure has. Never thought I would see that in the US. Of course we saw it. In the 19th Century too.

    ReplyDelete