Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Life Review: Oh Boy, it's Tax Day!!!

 Another Tax Day has come, even though the tax deadline has been extended due to COVID, I think it is important to recognize the traditional date and celebrate.

Celebrate taxes?

Yes, at least our taxes are reasonable. Our friends in Sverige pay a lot more than we do. And, we do get something for our money. I have in the past worked for the DoD, and for NASA--big governmental agencies who spend a lot of $$$$. and your guess is right, they are not necessarily the most economical with their $$$--or rather out $$$.

For the last 40-50 years I have filed my own taxes. I figure that if I have to gather all the info. and tell the tax prep folks all they need to know, I might as well file for myself. Historically I did this with paper copies of taxes, now I do it on the computer. Which brings up a story...

In 1997 I filed my 1996 taxes. My federal taxes went through with nary a hitch. HOWEVER, in transferring by hand the info from my federal to my state taxes, I failed to fill in all the details of my itemized deductions. I had the totals correct, but failed to transfer the info showing from where these deductions had come.

So, I get a nasty-gram from the Alabama Department of Revenue. I quickly reviewed my tax submission and immediately recognized my error. I called the AL Revenue Dept. and explained the situation. They gave me simple directions on filing an amended return, which was surprisingly easy. In fact, I was SHOCKED at how easily my error was repaired. It o impressed me that I contacted the HEAD of the Dept of Revenue. He immediately told me that they NEVER get people bragging on them, only complaining. He thanked me and told me if I ever needed any help from them, let him know.

Hmm, that is a NICE promise.

I learned it pays to brag on those who don't receive much praise--like the Dept of Revenue!

No comments:

Post a Comment