Sunday, April 4, 2021

Bar Abbas

Today is Easter and I got up early, before sunrise, to start celebrating. A couple of days back, as I read the story of the Last Supper, the prayer in Gethsemane, and the trial and crucifixion of our L^rd, it dawned on me how much I have in common with Bar Abbas.  "Bar" means "son of" and "Abba" means "father".

Recall that Barabbas was the insurrectionist who was freed by Pilate on Passover as demanded by the people instead of Jesus. When Pilate asked "What shall I do with Jesus", the people cried out "Crucify Him!"

Yes, I was set free even though I am guilty. It deserved the harshest punishment for my own insurrection against G^d.  I am egocentric, filled with pride, concerned about myself, envious, hyper competitive, and so much more.

Yet G^d...

G^d, our L^rd Jesus the Christ, gave Himself in my place. He was crucified that I, the guilty one, can go free.

Thank you L^rd, that I am another barAbbas. I live, because the L^rd died for me.

Thanks be to G^d whose Grace and Mercy are never ending.

1 comment: