Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Life Review: the Home garden

Back when Brenda and I were kids, everybody we knew, with only a few exceptions, had a vegetable garden near their home. Our little garden was just beyond the peach trees--which did yield small, whitish peaches which typically were quite tasty.

Our dad didn't have any fancy farm equipment, in fact once I recall him hooking up David and I to pull his little plow. That wasn't very successful if I remember correctly.

But we grew corn, beans, okra, tomatoes--the usual stuff. We might harvest a bit in the late afternoon for dinner that night. People grew what they wanted to eat, with little thought to anything else. It was a family ritual, and an enjoyable one.

As you have heard older people speak of "home-grown tomatoes" this is likely what they were remembering from the old days.

My mom, and I think most moms, had a pressure cooker and she would can some beans most years. We had a freezer, but I think that was after I left for college.

The home garden for growing food is now something of a curiosity. Our neighbor grows one, and a few other folks we know. It is a bit sad to see it go.

But, things change.

No comments:

Post a Comment