Sunday, September 19, 2021

A Sincere Question

 Pre-COVID, one of my best friends invited me to a men's conference in a venue that seats over 10k. The Conference was excellent, with well-qualified speakers and excellent music. It was fantastic to be in a venue with so many men who wanted to worship G^d and grow more like the Christ. I enjoyed it thorougly, but then started doing the math on the conference.

I think there were between 5k and 10k as the announced attendance. This was a while back, but I am thinking the registration was $100. So the gross was about $700k. Most of the speakers & musicians were selling something: Books, CDs, tee shirts--something. I don't know if those folks had to pay for the opportunity to sell their wares, or if it was an even trade, or whatever. Regardless of the exact math, the man who put this on grossed a huge amount and netted a goodly sum.

Likewise, my youngest two kids worked at a Christian camp in CA. They and dozens of other volunteers got paid $0. But the fee for attending one week of the camp was $3k a person--give or take a little. The camp was big enough that I won't even try to do the math, but let me assure you, this is a very profitable venture.

Now, as my friend Rex used to say, "Money is like oxygen, you need a little bit to live." So, I do NOT have any problem with paying a pastor, youth pastor, music minister, or lawn-care person a fair wage. I used to say I was the ONLY over-paid prof in the entire University--so I am not whining about my own pay, nor begrudging anyone a profit.

BUT, here's my question for you: When does financially profiting in the name of Christ become profiteering in the name of Christ? Again there are operating costs. Ministering does not come free. Facilities are expensive. I want Salvation Army and Children's Hospital to continue their good work. On the other hand, it seems a shame to charge so very much that some Believers can't afford a conference or camp, so that the owner/operator can make a fortune.

I am NOT seeking a specific $$ amount that is a hard-and-fast boundary. I am sincerely asking, what is the difference between a justifiable profit necessary to feed everybody and pay the bills, and what is profiteering in the name of Christ?

Comments, private messages, all input is welcome. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment