Wednesday, February 16, 2022

A BAD Road Race

 Last year I ran my first race in a looooong time. My family and I ran the Tuscaloosa YMCA's Ruldolf 8k run. It was fun and every family member was a winner in some category or another.

This year, for various reasons, only Anna G and I ran the 8k. I finished in 45:10 and ran my WORST race ever. My pace for this race was a miserable 9:02 per mile. Last year I ran it in 8:34 per mile.  Why the difference I ask?

I suspect I ran the race poorly, running too fast early on and then slowing precipitously. Also my training was greatly disrupted by our extensive travel during the key prep time. I wish I kept better running records, but really how important is that in the greater scheme of things.

In fact, as I told myself, who even cares that I ran badly? I still won the Great Grand Masters award for being the first male over 60 to finish.

Determining what really matters is important, and a road race at age 71.8 hardly matters. It probably matters more that I was able to run it, than how I finished the race.

What really matters?  This is a crucial question for us all.

Does my life reflect what I say really matters? That is a even a more crucial question for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment