Sunday, February 6, 2022

Stoner, a novel about an English Prof

One of my Prof friends recommended to me the John Williams novel, Stoner, about an english Prof at the U of Missouri. 

I inquired as to my friend's viewpoint? I wonder if the Stoner story is closely representative of many Profs? I was saddened by the lack of purpose and hope in his life.

He grew up in a “normal” home, but never seemed to connect with his parents. He fell in love with Literature, but never could say why. He endured a loveless marriage in which he was able to father a daughter from whom he seemed to draw meaning early in her life. He seemed to experience true love in his affair with Katherine Driscoll, but that was merely a short segment of his life. He found some reward in teaching well, but there was no indication of ever having a mentor relationship with any of his students.

Stoner seemed to have only 2 friends and (Finch and Masters) and 2 enemies (Lomax and Walker).  Even with Finch they did not seem to be able to go very “deep.”

He dies in the end, as we all do, but seemed to do so without ever considering the big questions of life such as, “Why are we here?” or “What is our purpose in life?” He simply lives, teaches and dies. That is profoundly sad to me, but maybe it happens a lot.

I sincerely seek to learn how often a less-extreme Stoner happens in Higher Ed.

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment