Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sunday School

Those who know me know that I am a BIG fan of Sunday School.  My position is that sermons are NOT the best way to teach Scripture.

Why?

  • No questions
  • No engagement
  • No interaction
  • No responses

Sunday School can also be taught with these same issues, but... it doesn't have to be.  I enjoy teaching Sunday School, mostly because I learn Scripture best when tasked with teaching it.

Tomorrow ( Jan 12) we start a class for men on Godly Disciplines.  I teach the next two classes, then alternate with my friend, Phil R.  I anticipate a lot of interaction, and a lot of fun.  One of my most admired profs, Howard Hendricks, used to say,

"Maximum learning comes from maximal engagement."

So my goal is clear, to maximize engagement.

Tomorrow's topic is the introduction on men's need for discipline.  My personality takes to discipline easier than most.  My son Daniel has the same ability, even more pronounced.  My time in the USNA, and in the Navy was somewhat easy, because military discipline cam easily.

Which raises the question (no it doesn't "beg the question" as many say, that's a logical fallacy, and subject of some other blog), "Why does the military emphasize discipline?  Which raises the question, "Why do we modern Christians evidence so little discipline?"

And those two questions will likely lead to others. 

We will see...

4 comments:

  1. It's been about 20 years since I read it, but I remember really liking that book. One of the things that attracted me to it was that Hughes provided support material to go along with his chapters. I read several other books because of his appendix listing influential books in the life of prominent believers. I hope SS goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wes. Didn't realize you had ever read a book...on discipline! ;)

      Delete
  2. You ought to hear me preach sometime. I lead an interactive, inductive service with questions encouraged, planned engagement and interaction with plenty of responses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on ya! I teach at a State Uni, and if I recruited students, or taught like we preach in Christian churches around the world. What are we thinking?

    ReplyDelete