Monday, June 16, 2014

Sharing the Christ with Attorneys

I am NOT an evangelist.  I think many of our evangelistic approaches are a bit off base.  Most of my friends with the GIFT of evangelism are so eager to get folks to "pray the prayer" that they may occasionally go too far.  As was once convincingly pointed out to me, any gift can become a negative if it is used at the WRONG time.

Two Scriptures fascinate me regarding evangelism.  I have written before about the Rich Young Ruler, and how Jesus sent him away sad.  I ran across another Scripture that is equally convincing.

In Luke 10: 
25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and made trial of him, saying, Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 And he said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
29 But he, desiring to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbor?

Jesus then goes on to tell the story of the Neighborly (Good) Samaritan. 

Note the question posed to the Greatest Evangelist of all time.  Note the answer.  Now, this could easily be interpreted, but not by someone who understands sin and grace.  Jesus wasn't misleading this attorney.  He was merely pointing out to the attorney, to those standing around, and to us that unless someone needs a savior, there isn't any point in going further.  Those who have no consciousness of their own sin will never hear the gospel.

I don't like it, but that's the way I see it.  The Gospel is only good news to those in need of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment