Thursday, August 18, 2016

Loving Money


“The love of money is the root of all sorts of evil”, or so the Bible says (I Tim 6:10).

Hmm, I assume most of us, me included, have serious doubts about that verse.  For, as Montgomery Burn s said it, “I’d give up all my wealth… for just a little more.”  Most of us love money so much that we will sacrifice tine (which is irreplaceable), health, family, and too often, integrity, “for just a little more”.

We admire those with lots of money, we listen to their advice, we plot and calculate how to amass as much as possible.  And that is not an isolated Christian, or non-Believer, it is most all of us.

Why do we all chase wealth?  For me it is: ego, greed, comfort, culture, competition, a way to “keep score”, status, sinfulness, doubt, insecurity, and probably some darker reasons that I won’t admit even to myself.

“Seek first the kingdom of G^d…”.

Yes, I want to do that.  It will mean I will need help.  I will need help; from fellow Believers, help from G^d.

It will be hard. 

I cry out with that father in Scripture, “I believe, help thou my unbelief!” (Mk 9:23-25)


Let’s see how this goes…

No comments:

Post a Comment